Thursday, May 7, 2009

Blogging is a new "sport" for me. Bear with me as I learn more about blogging!


The Swine flu scare still baffles me. I feel that the media has done so much damage to our country's ability to think on our own, that we'll now fall for anything. Some news reports that I heard stated that the Swine flu was much less dangerous than the regular strains of flu, yet the CDC decided that schools should close, large gatherings should be cancelled, etc. I can understand they were trying to keep the pandemic from spreading as much as possible, but come ON...

On the other hand, I'm sure that if my daughter had gotten the Swine flu, I'd feel much differently about it.


Our schools closed after the superintendent spoke with the CDC. We were supposed to be closed for 7 days. Less than 24 hours later, the CDC changed their mind about the severity of the situation and decided that the closing of all the schools wasn't really necessary. I'm sure the superintendent must have felt like ringing someone's neck over that one. We ended up only being out for 2 days. MANY teachers and students went out of town, so our attendance is horrible.


Getting back to my original statement about the media. Many people feel that if they'd keep quiet about "how bad" the economy is, then people would stop panicking, and the economy MIGHT fix itself. I'm not sure how that would work for all the people who've lost everything they'd worked all their adult life for. Just something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Went out of town?? That's the part I find baffling about the whole thing. The purpose behind closing to school was to limit the chances of spreading the flu, not to take a mini vacation. Our schools didn't close but we didn't have any cases.

    ReplyDelete